Thursday, February 6, 2014

Working As An Enrichment Lecturer on a Cruise Ship

I've been retired since May 2013 and, besides traveling, I have kept busy with daily gym activities, upgrades and maintenance repairs around the house, the never-ending yard work, serving as a board member for a non-profit foundation, some part-time work for the university and much more time to socialize with friends and former work peers that have now retired.

Recently, I found another post-retirement activity that could permit me to continue to spread computer security awareness in an entertaining yet educational manner. I've decided to apply for opportunities to serve as an enrichment lecturer on cruise ships. This interest has led me into an area that I had zero previous knowledge. Sure, I've provided computer security lectures in corporate environments, higher-education, public settings and professional conferences - but never in a floating theater. Where to begin was my first question.

What I've learned over the past several weeks is that there are at least two primary paths for working as an enrichment lecturer on cruise ships. First, there are several contracting agencies that identify potential lecturers and content for many of the major cruise lines. Second, some cruise lines seek their own enrichment speakers - though this may be a diminishing approach. The success of landing an assignment this second way may be somewhat dependent on if you know an existing lecturer that can provide you an introduction to the cruise line recruiter.

Using the Internet, I was able to find several contracting agencies that provide a process for recruiting  cruise ship lecturers. I sent an email introducing myself to the agency and briefly described my interests in serving as an enrichment speaker focusing on my area of expertise, computer security and privacy. In general, an interested agency will request that an applicant forward one or all of the following: a resume, personal biographical description, personal image - typically a head and shoulders view, list of proposed lecture titles and abstracts, history of past cruise travels, a video of an applicant's previous lecture and personal references. Often in response to this submitted applicant information, the agency will forward detailed information about the enrichment speaker program to the applicant. After reviewing the potential lecturer's submitted material, and determining some degree of interest in the speaker and his/her proposed topics, a telephone interview will be scheduled. 

This sums up my experience to date on the initial steps of applying to be a cruise ship enrichment lecturer.Though excited about the prospect of serving in this new role, I suspect that speakers with detailed port destination knowledge may be in the greatest demand on the cruise ship lecture circuit. As I progress through the application process, I'll post some updates on my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment