Sunday, April 19, 2020

What's Happening for 2020?

So far, not much is the answer to the post title and it will be that way for a while. That said, this unusual time allows us to take a step back and look at the world with new eyes and consider an opportunity for each of us to perform an act of kindness for those experiencing family, health, financial and/or food worries. 

Each day somewhat blends into the next, as there's not a much different in my daily tasks. Instead of running distant errands, we now follow a daily routine of cleaning, disinfecting, reading, gardening and walks. Grocery shopping has now become a once a week task, while wearing a face mask and gloves. Wiping down purchased grocery items before putting them away is a new exercise. This inconvenience seems minor when some folks are simply wondering how they can afford their next meal.


My wife has been working on making face masks. We now have several for our use and the remainder will be donated to those in need. It's refreshing to see that many creative homebound individuals are doing the same.

I've been cancelling our 2020 travel, along with many other people.  This has been much more challenging than I envisioned, possibly due to the number of cancellations being handled by travel companies. These cancellations are minor considering the many individuals out of work, dealing with trying to receive a stimulus check or process unemployment benefit applications.

A few days ago, at the start of my daily walk, I saw a man in rumpled clothes next to a bench on his knees silently praying. On my walk returning to the house, he was in the same spot, still on his knees, and praying to his higher authority. I opened my wallet and offered him some cash. I have never seen anyone so joyous and thankful for help. Although he could not speak English, he pointed his clasped hand into the sky and it was apparent he thought my help was in response to his prayers. I don't think this vision will ever leave me. 

If you're in a position to bring comfort to someone, please try to lend a helping hand.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment